Monday 25 November 1991

Yokohama

Since the conference doesn't start until 10 am, I treat myself to a sleep-in and a room service breakfast. I am awakened before the alarm time by a phone call from my brother at the airport. He is in Japan for another conference which by coincidence overlaps mine by a few days. We arrange to meet in the evening for dinner. Leaving late also means that I don't have to deal with the morning rush on the subways. Rush hour is when people jam the carriages and pushers are employed at some stations to pack the carriages.

After the day's talks, which I will not describe here, my brother shows up. We attend a little of the reception, but leave before the dignitaries commence the occasion. We decide to go to Yokohama Chinatown for dinner. It's a 15 minute ride by train. Chinatown is extensive, spanning several streets. Finally we pick an all inclusive meal package at a Chinese, most probably Taiwanese, restaurant. Since my brother speaks Japanese, this is a great advantage for dining out in Japan. The meal is sumptuous, with about 8 mini-courses but not cheap; with tax it comes out to about 9000 yen for two.

No comments:

Post a Comment